Below is a list of some of Jalatext's main features.
- Powered by Java. Written in Java, so it runs on Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Unix, OS/2, VMS...
- Eficient and fast! It uses little memory and is able to open a gigabyte file instantly.
Yes! Applications made in Java can be fast!
- Load files of unlimited size. There is no limit, Jalatext had loaded large text files of: 100MB, 8GB, 150GB, ... In one second!
- Optimized for huge files. Jalatext is not tested with files of few KBs. It is tested against real files
of various GBs. Large operations which affects the whole file never freeze the UI. The application is always responsive.
- Easy navigation. Navigate easily within the file, go to top or bottom of the file, etc...
- UTF-8 and unicode support. Load files with any charset: ANSI, windows-1252, UTF-8, UTF-16, ...
(you can select any charset supported by the Java JVM).
Also, it can convert between any charset.
- Advanced find with regular expression. Find a string in the file, or find a pattern written in a regular expression.
Regular expressions are Java syntax. So, you don't need to learn another esoteric syntax to write regular expressions.
- Advanced replace. Replace text by searching a text or a regular expression.
- Bookmark support. Bookmark positions of the file, for revisiting they latter.
Also, you can export a region of the text between two bookmarks.
- Multiple line endings supported. Jalatext can load files written on Windows or Linux systems.
Also, it can convert line endings between DOS/Windows and Unix/Linux.